Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

I Saw Sociology When…



I’m also taking psychology COD along with sociology. There are not a lot of us in that class, so it’s easy to notice each other. The other day, I noticed a boy who I suppose people could describe as a skater, stoner, whatever, wearing black nail polish. My first thought was, “that’s weird,” but then I was like, “why do I think that?” I’m assuming I think boys wearing nail polish is weird because by gender roles, it’s defined that only girls wear nail polish. It reminds me of when I was younger and putting clear nail polish on with a lot of my boy cousins around. They all wanted to try it and see what it felt like (cause it’s CRAZY different from not wearing nail polish), but only decided to do it when it was clear that all of them would do it, so none of them would be singled out. Worked out for me cause I got to practice giving manicures.

2 comments:

  1. Were there any reactions from their parents to your impromptu nail salon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they actually knew about it. I'm sure my cousin's kept it hidden from them because all their parents believe their sons should be very athletic and "manly."

    ReplyDelete