Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jane Addams

Since Monday, we have been learning about sociologists. On Monday, I was reading in our book and a name caught my eye. The name was Jane Addams.

I am familiar with Jane Addams because I want to be a social worker, and UIC has one of the best social working schools and it's named after her.

I read her whole little information thing about it in the book, and was most surprised to find out that the title social worker was almost forced on her because shedidn't have the term sociologist because she didn't work at a university. Or something like that.

But her Full House work reminded me of my neighbor, Bob Adams, because he runs a homeless veterans shelter in Wheaton. I've always though that both of their work with the homeless was very noble and influential.

I think Jane Addams would be impressed with the work done today with the homeless, but also disappointed about how little the government helps out.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up an interesting point of the government leaving the homeless vets behind. I know the shelter you're talking about...and it was pretty controversial when they put it in Wheaton too.

    ReplyDelete