Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

America = Material Culture

When I was doing the next chapter work, I found the definition to a material culture. I feel like America is more a material culture than a nonmaterial college. I think America values money and items more than ideas, knowledge, and beliefs. Even the America dream is mostly about materials. The typical America dream is to get a house with a white picket fence (maybe with a pool) a nice car, maybe a vacation house, and a nice job. All of those are not ideas, and the emphasize money and success over beliefs and knowledge. Compared to Europe’s and Asia’s education system, America is sorely lacking. I remember watching a program on tv about our high schools compared to European high schools and on the Europe students said a sentence in about 5 different languages and then said in English, “take that America.” I can’t even blame him for boasting and being a jerk about how intelligent he is, because I have never met an America high schooler that can speak 5 languages. I know people say that, “oh, well, they have to learn more languages because all their countries are close together so they’re in close contact with a lot of people that speak different languages.” This is America, the salad/soup/mixing pot of the world. I go to a school in which I can think of at least 6 different languages spoken (and not like language classes, these people that actually speak that language at home), and yet I don’t know any of them. I just wish that America was more focused on ideas, knowledge, and beliefs, instead of the next thing Apple is going to produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment