Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Collective Crowd Groups

These are some of the collective groups I’ve experienced or will experience:

Casual: I’ve never really seen a car accident or a fire, but I have seen a fight. The first and only fight I’ve seen in high school was last year. I was leaving study hall with my friend Dillon Krotz and we were headed for the staircase in the math hallway. We got half way there when two girls started circling each other. We were right in front of them. In approximately 30 seconds, a group had already formed and started yelling, “fight, fight, fight!” To me, the cheering was almost the worst thing because why should anyone be encouraging violence? Why do humans always crave action, battle, and blood? The group kept chatting and eventually one of the girls pushed each other. It happened so fast, but then they were on the ground, literally rolling. I looked over at Dillon and he had the same expression I felt on my face, almost utter revulsion. I almost felt sick just because at that moment, I was so disappointed in humanity. If this is what high school is like with violence, how bad is the whole world? I wanted to try and stop it, but I knew with our school’s policy that if I got involved, I would also get in trouble too. By the time the deans got there, one of the girl’s nose ring had come out and there was blood on both of their faces. After that, the group broke apart and we went to our next classes. It must have lasted 2 minutes, top. We were together briefly, and not for a main purpose.

Conventional: Tonight I’m going to dinner with my friends at Chipotle’s (best fake Mexican food ever!). Every time I’m there, it’s usually busy and there normally isn’t a lot of seatting, so sometimes you’re sitting next to strangers. We all come together for the purpose to eat, and when we’re done, we leave.

Expressive: Last Friday, I went to the first and last basketball game I have ever attended at Wego. I don’t like basketball; I generally think any sport but football is boring, and I’d rather be playing that then watching it. That, combined with the fact that I was with my best friends, I didn’t even realize when the game ended. However, I did occasionally glance at the parents that sat next to the squad. They genuinely seem interested in the game. I’m sure to the parents with children playing, any sport is more emotional because that’s your baby playing out there and you want to see them do well and not get injured.  

Acting: The most recent and closest to home acting crowd that I can think of is the democrats in Wisconsin leaving so there won’t be a quorum for the anti-union bill. I even found this picture with the protesters sleeping in the capital. I do agree with you Mrs. Haas, that the teachers should not be leaving school to protest, but I understand why their upset about the attempt to have their unions eliminated, especially in this current economy.  

1 comment:

  1. Perfect examples of each....and I love your description of Chipotle. Even though I'm reading this at 9 in the morning, I now totally have a taste for a chicken burrito bowl. Thanks, Beth :)

    ReplyDelete